"I really, really want to win the bracelet"

Matt Giannetti
 Matt Giannetti
/em>
PokerStrategy.com: Was there any time during the WSOP Main Event where you thought, “I am going to make the November Nine?”

Matt Giannetti: I got very short just around the bubble, from 14th down, but I really had a good mindset throughout the tournament. I was trying not to think about the future.

I was just thinking about each and every hand. Normally, I tend to dwell on things, but throughout this tournament I had a better calm about me and was able to get over things pretty quickly.

PokerStrategy.com:
Was that a new approach for you?

Matt Giannetti:
It was something that I really tried hard at during the WSOP Main Event. I was never worrying about what the average was or how many players were left. I was just focussing on each hand.

PokerStrategy.com:
So was there a moment when you thought you were going out?

Matt Giannetti:
I knew there were times, with ten people left, that I was going to be all-in during the next orbit. I was aware of that, but my thinking was not “I am going to be out,” it was “I am going to be all-in, let’s get a hand and let’s get lucky.”

PokerStrategy.com:
Emotionally how were you feeling around that time?

Matt Giannetti:
Like I said, I kept blocking out the magnitude of the event. I was trying to focus on each hand but when I was all-in, when all of my chips were in the middle and I couldn’t do anymore, I would get nervous. But during my play I was in control of my emotions.

"I really, really want to win the bracelet"

PokerStrategy.com: The payouts on the final table are huge, what do you think about that?

Matt Giannetti:
The money is life changing and it would be great to win but I really, really want to win the bracelet. I just want to focus on playing the best that I can.

PokerStrategy.com:
Does the money get nullified because you have been a pro for so long?

Matt Giannetti:
When you have been around long enough you realise that money is just a way of keeping score. More ammunition to continue to play. You have a whole different view of what money is.

PokerStrategy.com:
Are you a WSOP veteran?

Matt Giannetti:
I am 26-years of age and have played every one. I am mainly a cash game player and hadn’t had a six-figure score until WPT Malta. Prior to the Main Event I had not played a lot of poker tournaments.

I would dabble in tournaments but I am mainly a cash game player. Over the last few years I have played more tournaments and less cash,

PokerStrategy.com:
So how have things changed since the November Nine?

Matt Giannetti:
I am travelling the world and playing in more and more tournaments. The publicity is new and being recognised as a poker player is new.

PokerStrategy.com:
The current crop of November Niners are unfortunately post Black Friday November Niners. What is your view on this?

Matt Giannetti:
It would have been nice if it hadn’t happened because there would have been a lot more money for me. But getting angry over something you cannot control is a waste of energy in my opinion.

PokerStrategy.com: Has it been very quiet?

Matt Giannetti:
Not really. I have something that I am happy with for the final table. Nothing has been signed yet but I am happy with what I have got. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on it until it is signed.

PokerStrategy.com:
Were you an online cash game grinder?

Matt Giannetti:
In the early years I was. Then I went into tournaments before finally making my living playing live cash games. I always used to flit in and out of online and live play but I like the live play a lot more.

"Strangely, I had just started playing online prior to Black Friday"

PokerStrategy.com: So Black Friday didn’t affect you so much then?

Matt Giannetti:
Strangely, I had just started playing online prior to Black Friday due to some poor live results but no it didn’t affect me like most people.

PokerStrategy.com:
What stakes do you play?

Matt Giannetti:
I don’t necessarily play certain stakes and instead concentrate on the good games. I live in Vegas and play a lot there but I also travel to Miami a lot where there are some really good PLO games.
Matt Giannetti
Gianetti goes back to Vegas
as a WPT Champion

PokerStrategy.com:
Omaha or NLHE?

Matt Giannetti: Up until two years ago it was purely NLHE but these days I play Omaha. Omaha is where the value is these days as long as you select your games well.

PokerStrategy.com:
But now you are a November Niner are you now going to turn into a bread and butter tournament player?

Matt Giannetti:
It has crossed my mind. I am always just going to do what I want to do. I am having fun playing tournaments now, so I will continue to play, but if I want to play cash games I will play them also.

PokerStrategy.com: 
What do your friends and family think about all of this newfound fame?

Matt Giannetti:
Everyone is really supportive but nothing has really changed.

"Confidence is everything in poker"

PokerStrategy.com:  So after you secure the Nov Nine spot you bubble Partouche and then win WPT Malta and your first six-figure score. What happens to Nov Niners that makes them so successful post the summer?

Matt Giannetti:
Confidence is everything in poker. It helps with all of your decisions. When you are sure that your decisions are correct it makes everything so much easier.

Overall I wasn’t that happy with my play in Malta. There were a number of occasions where I made loose river calls which I knew were wrong. During the series when confidence was super high I was just folding those hands so I was a little disappointed about that.

PokerStrategy.com: 
Is playing poker something you have always wanted to do?

Matt Giannetti:
Yeah. There have been some highs and lows in my career, especially when I was playing cash. You can make your own schedule, work as hard or relax as much as you want to. I was in school studying computer engineering but I was enjoying poker too much. I knew I could make some money at poker so I went for it.

PokerStrategy.com:
What about the future?

Matt Giannetti:
I could still see myself finishing school even if I win the main event. I know enough that I know nothing. It depends where life takes me.

PokerStrategy.com:
Who do you hang around with?

Matt Giannetti:
Nenad Medic, Noah Schwartz, The Grinder, Chino Rheem and David Williams. We all talk a lot of strategy and collaborate which is one of the best ways to improve your poker game.

by Lee Davy